- Never end your email with "Thanks in advance"
- Papers 3: moving in the wrong direction?
- When and how to use email reminders
- What software do I really need for academic work on Mac?
- Papers 3: still disappointing
- 5 things to keep out of OmniFocus
- Captions, cross-references, and lists in Miscrosoft Word
- 5 reasons to write your thesis in Scrivener
- LaunchBar vs. Alfred 2
- Academic Workflows
Carl Casca on Papers 3: considerable improve… Mark on Papers 3: considerable improve… Avi Ghosh on Papers 3: moving in the wrong… atibbs on What software do I really need… Spring Cleaning Omni… on 5 things to keep out of O…
- Alfred AppleScript Brett Terpstra BusyCal Byword DefaultFolderX DevonThink Drafts Dropbox Fantastical FoxTrot Hazel iOS Kaleidoscope Keynote Launchbar literature review lucy kellaway Macpowerusers MailActOn MailTags Mavericks Microsoft Word MindNode minimal multimarkdown NValt Nvivo OfficeTime OmniFocus OmniGraffle OmniOutliner OpenMeta OS Pages Papers PDF Expert Pomodoro SaneBox Scrivener Sente Skim TaskPaper text editing TextExpander typography Ulysses Ulysses III writing
Tag Archives: Papers
I have recently been asked to prepare one of the Oxford Bibliographies. This required sifting through, organizing and annotating a large number of references and so I decided to give Papers 3.0 another try. I have previously been disappointed by various deficiencies of this … Continue reading
Following the disappointments with the recent version of Papers I am trying Sente 6, a competing reference and pdf management software. The initial impression is unfortunately not very good. First, I wanted to email two references to a colleague. Papers can do this through a … Continue reading
I was very optimistic about the most recent build of Papers 3. The company announced some change in file management (which I could not quite understand but decided that any change would be for the better). I have also found … Continue reading
Papers 3 have just graduated from the beta version! Here is a couple of first quick impressions. There is a change in handling of files, which many people intensely discuss here and which is a make-or-break feature for a pdf manager. In … Continue reading
Here are some clarifications concerning handling of documents in the beta version of Papers 3 which I criticize in the previous entry. Responding to my query, Papers 3 staff confirmed that switching on the Dropbox synchronization (a new feature in … Continue reading
NB: Since this entry was written, file management in Papers 3 has improved. Follow further developments in Papers app on Macademic. I have started trying the beta-version of Papers 3, an update of Papers 2, my favorite citation, bibliography and … Continue reading
Unfortunately, collaboration in academic writing often causes frustration. Academics are used to think that co-authoring a manuscripts means emailing back and forth Microsoft Word documents with endless “Track Changes” and “Comments” layered on top of each other. Whereas writing is … Continue reading
Ez responded to the post on annotating pdf in Papers with a comment so useful I reworked it, with Ez’ kind permission, in a separate post. It was prompted by John asking about a “simple workflow”: ‘… [to create] referenced notes … Continue reading