- Never end your email with "Thanks in advance"
- What software do I really need for academic work on Mac?
- Papers 3: moving in the wrong direction?
- When and how to use email reminders
- Papers 3: still disappointing
- TextExpander for writing recommendation letters
- Captions, cross-references, and lists in Miscrosoft Word
- 5 things to keep out of OmniFocus
- LaunchBar vs. Alfred 2
- 5 reasons to write your thesis in Scrivener
Eric on What software do I really need… Michael J Holley on 5 reasons to write your thesis… Aleh Cherp on Papers 3: considerable improve… AC on TextExpander for writing recom… rickla on Ulysses can assign OS X tags a…
- Alfred AppleScript Brett Terpstra BusyCal Byword DefaultFolderX DevonThink Drafts Dropbox Fantastical FoxTrot Hazel iOS Kaleidoscope Keynote Launchbar literature review lucy kellaway Macpowerusers MailActOn MailTags Mavericks Microsoft Word MindNode minimal multimarkdown NValt Nvivo OfficeTime OmniFocus OmniGraffle OmniOutliner OpenMeta OS Pages Papers PDF Expert Pomodoro SaneBox Scrivener Sente Skim TaskPaper text editing TextExpander typography Ulysses Ulysses III writing
Category Archives: Files
A reader has just challenged me to re-think the software I use for academic work on Mac. Well, there are over 250 items in my Applications folder, but how many do I need to remain productive? So imagine that I have a completely new Mac with no … Continue reading
I have recently asked a colleague to share one of her publications with me. I did not hear from her, but after a week or so, while cleaning my @SaneLater box, I discovered an email sent by her from an unfamiliar address and … Continue reading
A nightmare had followed me for decades on both PCs and Mac. I am working on a file and decide that it should be called differently or be placed in a different folder. So I switch to Finder/Explorer, look for … Continue reading
Ez responded to the post on annotating pdf in Papers with a comment so useful I reworked it, with Ez’ kind permission, in a separate post. It was prompted by John asking about a “simple workflow”: ‘… [to create] referenced notes … Continue reading
Until recently, when asked whether Papers provide good annotation tools I would say “not really… but they have other advantages …”. There is no longer need for such an excuse. Papers’ support for document annotation is as good as in their competitor, … Continue reading